Things I'm thinking On...

Instead of inundating you with words, I thought I'd share with you some things I am thinking deeply on, with pictures and a few captions explaining what the images are about (in my humble opinion) and why I care (in brief!)


Journey with me, if you will....

Firstly, Libations: In Ghana, there is a tradition of pouring water, or a pure liquor (so, not a cocktail, but a singular liquor, gin or schnapps), and saying a prayer at the beginning of any important event: an important meeting of important people, for religious gatherings, baby out-doorings (introducing a child to the community) and other events of import.

Why libations? Well, for a paper I have to write. Also, because the principles behind libations make me think of the ways in which American Christians (and a lot of Christianities) venerate the saints who have passed. It could be said that Jesus is our greatest ancestor. Now, venerated ancestors don't just happen, they become ancestors through living exemplary lives. Much the same way that we (Americans, Westerners, Western Christians) uplift exemplary Christian figures - they become persons we admire even in death, we learn from the way they lived, emulate them even. In fact, we are supposed to model the life of Jesus! I am contemplating our fear of connecting ourselves to this tradition, in which ancestors (those who are great ancestors, and those members of our family who have simply gone on to the next life) are called upon so that they can continue to be a part of the community of the living. We, Western Christians, invoke Paul, Peter, the disciples, the early Christians (of Scripture, and of historical records), when we refer to our books of discipline, our doctrines and creeds, when we sing hymns and so on. Why do we avoid our connection to the bearers of our traditions? (Yes, I'm speaking to you Africans in the diaspora.)

Bonus on the Image: This image might actually be of Dr. Kofi Asare Opoku, who we did meet while in Ghana. He's awesome.



Secondly, Adinkra Symbols: One, they intrigue me because of their very existence. Often, we faun over Chinese, Japanese, Korean calligraphy.
I instantly was in love with this iconography - can't be dyslexic with adinkra symbols. And I love that there are proverbs and sayings behind the symbols. Like so much of West African culture, each image has a meaning, and various applications and connections to other aspects of the culture.
This lovely symbol is called nyame nti (by God's grace).
I think it mimics a kind of large fern tree that I have actually seen in Ghana. And the real tree just raises in me the emotions of flexible strength - it looks like the plant danced out of the ground. Perhaps, the tree says to us, by being flexible, by stretching and bending to reach the light, we can still grow tall. Don't be deterred! Just keeeeeeeeep reaching!!!




Lastly, for the Womanist Warrior in me, I have been contemplating pleasure, emotion, passion and love as a Black woman. I am thinking deeply on the meanings, workings, effects of pleasure in all forms. One particular pleasure I've had on my mind is... unabashed, unfettered, unencumbered love for the self.

What would it mean for me (and for you, if you're in this camp) to fully love every single part of me - and to be in love with the me God gave me.


Note/Credit: this picture comes from the fantabulous Mickalene Thomas. Check her out here (fore-warning: some images are racier than others, ie: breasts, hips, expressions of erotic ecstasy).

Also, what does sexy really mean? And what are our (Black women's) fears, hopes and dreams around the topic of romantic love, and/or sex (coitus!)? And how do those fears, hopes and dreams make us operate in the real world?

Do I have answers to all my questions? No. But am I having fun turning the thoughts over in my mind? Absolutely!! Let's strike up a convo about it - I'm itching to have conversation partners on these topics.

2 comments:

Evan Rohrs-Dodge March 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM  

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing about Adinkra symbols. Our contemporary Western USAmerican culture is bereft of meaning on pretty much every level, and especially in its symbolism. Indigenous cultures have much to teach us on this.
re: "sexy" - unfortunately, it seems to me that the term is whatever white male patriarchy wants it to be. Again, one only needs to briefly survey USAmerican society to see this dynamic at work. Look at advertisements with models, for example; they predominantly feature white women. Any other ethnic or racial representation is difficult to ascertain (for example, mixed-race models whose ethnic or racial background is unclear), or, if African-American, they are often light-skinned. I think this is very serious; not only is it racist, but it sends a message to ALL women about the value of their bodies. Just my thoughts...
I've been thinking about the theologies of bodies and the evangelical subculture, particularly as it relates to same-gender loving people. More on that later as my thoughts develop...

Ms. Honeybee March 8, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

I love it! I, too, often wondered why we (western Christian, Africans of the diaspora) only do libations during black history month or any type of "black event" as some call them. Why don't we invoke our ancestors more often? I am almost certain it was the de-Africanization of us. When brought here from Africa, we were stripped of any cultural ties to Africa (drums, languages, dances, religions, clothing). The few things that remained were deemed harmless by the slave masters and overseers (hymns, singing styles, etc.). However, our religions and methods of worship were seen as a threat to Christianity. The Black Churches have allowed us to maintain some small amount of African rituals and customs. The call and response singing that is done in most Baptist churches AND AME churches come from the western Africans and their singing styles. Invoking ancestors though? Slave masters didn't understand the concept of SANKOFA (reference your Adinkra point). Sankofa, Gye Nyame......

Post a Comment

About this blog

I took a line from the amazing kid David who was high on laughing gas. Kids have a knack for asking the right question at the right (and wrong) time - but it stayed with me: Why is this happening to me? Why is life the way it is?
Well, I don't have the answer. This blog isn't a "why" or "how to" - it's simply a look at life lived by faith, with arms wide open. I hope you enjoy sojourning with me as I explore some of the "whys", "why nots", and "oh, wells" in life.

If you can figure out why, please... do tell! *comment!*

Followers

Archives